“The real key to happiness is to stop expecting others to make you happy.”
When we expect things from others, we are opening ourselves up to disappointment. We are relying on others to make us feel happy or to add fulfilment to our lives. I have learnt in life to not do or plan anything that I can’t do by myself, to avoid feeling disappointed if someone cancels or lets me down.
Here are some things that we should stop expecting from other people:
- Fulfilment – Do not wait around for someone else to add happiness or value to your life. Happiness starts and comes from within. If you continue to wait around for someone to bring joy into your life you will be waiting a long time.
- Stop expecting them to always do the right thing – Everyone has different standards and different ways in which we want things to be done. So don’t expect others to oblige by your “rules”. What maybe important to you, may not be as important to another. Stop looking for perfection. Once you stop expecting them to be perfect, you will begin to like them for who they are.
- Motivation – you can’t wait around for anyone to motivate you. People don’t have the time to motivate you as well as themselves. Motivation needs to come from you, if you sit around and wait for it you are signing yourself up for a losing battle.
- Understanding – it’s so important to remember that no one has lived your life, no one has had your upbringing. Don’t expect people to understand what you have been through when they haven’t experienced those emotions for themselves. Start allowing people to have their own perspective on what you have experienced as it may allow you to see things in a different way.
- Validation – The truth is people are extremely wrapped up in their own lives and don’t have time to validate your worth. The only person who should confirm your worth is you. And what anyone does say is more of a reflection on them, not you.